Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 15:20:32 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sparc & api for asynchronous task execution (2)

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > The register window sizes weren't picked willy-nilly.  The SPARC default
> > size is 7 windows, chosen after months of analyzing every M68K SunOS
> > program they could get their hands, including compiled C, Pascal, LISP,
> > and Fortran programs.
> >
> > I suspect C++ and Java probably skew these stats a little.  This might
> > account for the 8 windows in more modern SPARC processors.
>
> Please watch your attributions; I said none of this.

Precisely where did you get the idea I was accusing you of anything?
I was merely adding to your assertion that the register window system
was carefully designed as an optimization, not as the foolishness the
original questioner seemed to think.

Calling into question those who are supporting your arguments isn't a
great way to enforce your point.