Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 14:32:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        twigles@yahoo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: starting X as non-root

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>Thanks to everyone for the quick and simple replies.
>I hate to do this, but I have another one that has
>been whipping me.  After installing Xwrapper, I can
>start xterm as a mere mortal, but Windowmaker won't
>start unless I am root, then it pops up beautifully.

>I've been poking around for a few hours now inside
>/usr/X11R6 and havent gotten anywhere.  I also tried
>the FAQ.  I can still reinstall and get around this
>but would rather *understand*.  Any help is
>appreciated.

Check that you haven't created any windowmaker related files in your
home directory as root, which cannot be accessed when running as
yourself.  Thus:

 % cd $HOME
 % find . -user 0

If you yse "startx" or some similar command to launch X, try
redirecting its stdin/stderr to a file -- there might be some clues
there.

  $.02,
  /Mikko

 Mikko Tyolajarvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com