Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:49:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Tony Tam <ttam@mail.iidpwr.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SLIP speed

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Tony Tam wrote:

> Hackers,
>
>      Could anybody tell me what is the minimum response time on an SLIP
> or PPP circuit in order to make TELNET works reliable?
>
> --
> Yours truly,

  Well, telnet should be reliable with any functioning network.  Any
network that gives you better than 300ms round-trip time as reported by
ping, is pretty usable with telnet, anything under 200ms is best.
Round-trip time just for an idle 28.8k slip/ppp modem link is about 160ms.
Modems are just dogs for latency.  An idle 56k line is around 30ms rtt.

Tom