Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:16:31 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        sobomax@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org, kabaev@mail.ru, sheldonh@uunet.co.za, freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net, bsd@bsdhome.com, schweikh@schweikhardt.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_cp_-d_dir_patch_for_review_(or_'xargs'=3F)?=

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:04:31 +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > > Sorry for butting in. Adding new non-portable functionality to solve the problem
> > > which could be adequitely taken care of using existing and well known
> > > techniquies is not appropriate, I completely agree with you on that.
> >
> > And I'm still waiting to see those well known techniques.
>
> Attached small script should solve this problem and doesn't require
> introducing incompatible option in the standard tool.
>
> For example:
>
> find /usr/src -type f | xargs larg cp targetdir
>
> For speed purposes it could be implemented in raw C.
>
> -Maxim
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> if [ ${#} -le 2 ]; then
> 	echo "Usage: larg command lastarg arg1 [arg2 ...]"
> 	exit 0
             ^
             oops :-)
> fi
>
> COMMAND=${1}
> LASTARG=${2}
> shift 2
> exec ${COMMAND} "${@}" "${LASTARG}"

Yes, I think this will work as long as your environment isn't
polluted by something like $ENV (any increase in the environment size
will effect xargs's calculation of how many arguments will fit on the
command line).

Of course I still prefer the xargs fix - as you said above, it'd be
nicer in C :-)
--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>