Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:52:04 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: USB CF reader (SanDisk) epilog

Brian writes:

> I would say that in general FreeBSD drivers
> are worse than Windows drivers except for the
> most common hardware.

A frightening thought, given how badly written most Windows drivers are.
Bad drivers are the leading cause of system failures on Windows machines,
and no doubt this is true for FreeBSD as well.

> This stands to reason as the hardware manufacturers
> write the drivers for Windows and/or work with
> Microsoft, whereas they are generally indifferent
> to and often actively hostile to freeware O/S developers.

My experience is that almost all drivers provided by hardware manufacturers
are defective.  Hardware manufacturers know their hardware, but they don't
know anything about the operating systems for which they write their
drivers, and this is dangerous when you consider that their drivers have to
run with kernel privileges.  It might help if manufacturers released the
source to their drivers, but for some reason they appear to be unwilling to
do this.

> Maybe you can do some diagnosis yourself . . .
> and then they'd work better in the future.

With adequate documentation, I could write a driver for anything.  But in
software engineering, the hardest part of writing anything is finding enough
documentation to know what to write.  Most software developers are only
partially literate and hate to ever document anything.

> CF memory has the wonderful property that it's
> not timing-dependent ...

And yet the error I'm getting is a timeout!