Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 14:45:28 -0700
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Sendmail ceased starting at boot

Sometime recently sendmail ceased to startup at boot.  I've made a few
changes recently:

- Upgraded to FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p6 via source/makeworld
- added the cyrus-sasl-1.5.27_3 port and enabled it with sendmail
- added the gnome port and enabled xdm
- ran /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade -ra with no errors

The odd thing is that there is no real indication as to why sendmail doesn'
t start at boot.

Sendmail runs fine when I start it manually with /ete/mail/make start.  It
works perfectly and doesn't crash.

The only sendmail-related errors I can find are:

FROM /var/log/messages
----------------------
Jun 22 13:50:44 antsclimbtree sendmail[241]: KERBEROS_V4: can't access
srvtab file /etc/srvtab: No such file or directory
Jun 22 13:50:44 antsclimbtree sendmail[241]: add_plugin(/usr/local/lib/sasl/
libkerberos4.so) failed: generic failure

(these errors occur when manually starting sendmail, but do not seem to
adversely affect sendmail or sasl -- I'm not using kerberos)

FROM dmesg
----------
Starting standard daemons:
  inetd
  cron
  sshd
  sendmail
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.10" not found

.
Recovering vi editor sessions:
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.10" not found

(I don't see how the libmysqlclient error is related to sendmail, but it
happens near the point where sendmail is apparently being started at boot,
  so I'm including it)

That's all the evidence I can find.  Again, sendmail appears to work just
fine in general, so I'm guessing that something has changed in the boot
process that I've missed.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

--
Mark Edwards