Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 17:37:44 -0600
From:      "mike" <mike@coloradosurf.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   modem problems

I apologize if this is the wrong place to send this question. I also
apologize if the answer to this one is posted somewhere I've not found yet.
If so, feel free to flame me while you point me in the right direction.

I am having trouble getting a modem to work at all - incoming and outgoing
(I have tried several modems with this new FreeBSD box - ones that work fine
on other FreeBSD boxes).

Possible hints:
It is a PCI modem (though I also tried an ISA and it didn't work either)

Under 'network status', my daily email log shows an '*' next to tun0.

When my system boots up, I do see:
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
 sio0: type 16550A
 sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
 sio1: type 16550A

when I tried an ISA modem I got
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A

I don't think this matters but . . .
When I try to use ppp to connect to an ISP, I get a 'chat script failed'
error. I have used an identical ppp.conf on another machine which works
fine. When I look in the /var/log/ppp.log, it shows going through the chat
script normally (no errors) until it tries to dial and it shows:
. . .
Phase: PPP Started (background mode).
Phase: bundle Establish
Phase: deflink: closed -> opening
Phase: deflink: Connected!
Phase: Phone: 3035466176
Chat: deflink: Dial attempt 1 of 1
Chat: Send: AT^M
Chat: Expect(5): OK
Chat: Expect timeout
Chat: Send: AT^M
Chat: Expect(5): OK
Chat: Expect timeout
Warning: Chat script failed
. . .

a bit down the way it shows a 'Phase: Parent: Child failed (errdead).'

My ethernet connection works fine.

I have tried changing in ppp.conf  the 'set device' to both cuaa0 and cuaa1
(cuaa2 and cuaa3 too) to no avail.

It also does not 'answer' incoming phone calls.

If there is somewhere I might look for reference, please let me know. I've
been beating my head against the wall for quite a bit on this one.

Thank you for any suggestions.

quite baffled,

Mike Dickerson
mike@coloradosurf.com