Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 23:56:20 +0600
From:      "Eugene Panchenko" <replicator@ngs.ru>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Clock Granularity (kernel option HZ)

Hello!

I've seen various postings on the Net where people reported
network-related and overall performance improvements caused
by settig HZ kernel option to 1000 (for example), that is,
reducing a tick size to 1ms for their FreeBSD and Linux
systems.  However, several problems seem to arise, such as
some device drivers do not include HZ in calculating their
timeout value, but simply assume HZ to be 100, and also some
utility programs such as top or ps take timing information
from the kernel in ticks, also assuming 10ms ticks, however,
most of these saying were related to Linux.  How safe it is
to bump up HZ to, say, 1000 in FreeBSD (I use 4.5-STABLE)?
What pitfals will I encounter (drivers, top/ps)?  Is there
are going to be [promised] performance increase?  Do I
really need it?  Thank you.