Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 16:34:43 +0100
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@free.fr>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printer fiascos.

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 08:21:33PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    When the new parallel port stuff was put several months ago, my
>    machine stopped working.  I had to set flags to 0x40 to make it
>    work again.  Flags of 0x40 force the driver to use the most
>    basic probes possible.  It was put in because a number of people's
>    machines stopped working.
>
>    It looks like Peter removed the flags 0x40 in rev 1.228 of GENERIC
>    on Jan 14.

Specific chipset detection is now disabled by default since most of the
chipsets detected on new MB are not recognised by ppc. A MACHINE option
shall be set to activate chipset detection.

See http://www.freebsd.org/~nsouch/ppbus.html for more info.

[...]
>    David, try putting flags 0x40 back in and see if that fixes your
>    problem.

0x40 has the same effect only if chipset specific detection is activated
at compile time by the correct option. Otherwise the action is null.

--
nsouch@free.fr / nsouch@freebsd.org
FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org