Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 02:03:26 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

Bill Moran wrote:

> Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > If anyone is taking a vote, I disagree. I do not want any system
> > > ever assuming anything about my network. Even Win checks with the
> > > user before enabling DHCP.
> >
> > FYI: The networking bootstrap process I described above
> > is derived from the process used by Windows 98 and above,
> > as it comes configured by default on systems with integral
> > network cards.
>
> Personally, I don't consider win98 a reference point
> by which to model OS design. When you say win98 and
> above do you include the NT line (win2k)? With
> the _current_ IPv4 network, I don't see any good
> reason for servers to use DHCP

Just because you don't see it doesn't make it a bad idea.  Network admins
begged for years for a centralized IP address space management server;
now that they've been given one (that works, and is FREE) people like you
bitch about it and won't use it.  Feh.

> and FreeBSD is primarily a server OS

Sez who?

For what it's worth, my DoBox now does an automatic DHCP with a short time-
out, and if it doesn't get a least on the DSL or CableModem uplink, tries
a PPPoE lease.  If that fails as well, THEN it asks the user what to do,
because it has exhausted it's limited supply of knowlege about how to
automatically configure the uplink.  That, my friends, is the correct way
to do it: try everything you reasonably can, then and only then pester the
user if none of the default(s) worked.