Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:14:08 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot.flp doesn't

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > it looks like the loader doesn't understand a gzipped kernel.
>
> Yeah, it also looks like we're going to be out of the release business
> for awhile.  We've hit another space crunch and I'm not yet sure
> what to do about it.

I'm not sure how much space we need, but since speed is not an issue
[we want a kernel we can install with, not one to keep] adding
'-malign-loops=0 -malign-jumps=0 -malign-functions=0' will shrink
things a bit (by removing all instruction alignment padding).

Additionally, -fomit-frame-pointer will save a couple of bytes per
function (and there are a lot of functions in the kernel).  Some of
the other `-f' options should reduce code size, but I'm not sure
which ones are safe in gcc 2.7.2.1.

These will also come in handy when it becomes necessary to shrink
boot2 those few essential bytes...

Peter