Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:25:42 +0100
From:      Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
To:        Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: -CURRENT and XFree86 4.0.2 problem

> Reverting to 4.0.1 is not a way to solve the problem. Someone running
> -stable with a i810 chipset has to investigate the problem and
> provide patches. I can't do it myself, not having a i810.
> Is this a problem with -stable only (i.e. does 4.0.2 works on
> -RELEASE)? The i810 code has changed a lot between 4.0.1 and 4.0.2.

Sure, it's not a solution - throwing away anything Intel is :-p

Seriously, this is my main workstation at the office, and I need
to get real work done. That's my number one priority. Once I am
back at that point, with my /usr/X11R6 backed up, I can
probably try.
Do you have any suggestion as to what to check? A diff between
the 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 showed difference only in how AGP support
gets detected, not in the actual AGP support. So the breakage
is probably in the i810 code...

But this is not the point, in my opinion. The point is,
X is something we must be able to rely on. It should never
be broken, as it takes hours to fix it. If it breaks, it
should be fixed ASAP. If we are not able to guarantee this,
then we must have 2 revisions in the tree, and be able to
test on all (common) hardware ASAP.
I don't blame you for not testing this on my hardware, of
course - I blame myself for stupidly upgrading without an
easy way back. But we must learn the lesson for the future.

If you are going to be maintainer of this code, may I
suggest that you find a group of volunteers that together
have 99% of the hardware (it's not hard), and let them
test new revisions before upgrading? That would be a very
professional way to deal with this.

Bye,
	Andrea

--