Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 19:17:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@privatelabs.com
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        luigi@iet.unipi.it
Subject:   ouch: setting net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw to 1 causes a panic

Hello!

We had  the box acting as  the bridging firewall sitting  in between our
DSL router and  the rest of the network. The  machine has three physical
interfaces (dc-driver):

The  first one,  the dc0  does not  even have  an IP  of its  own --  it
connects directly to  the DSL router. dc2 connects to  the local network
(/27) and the dc1 is for the internal experimental network.

This setup ran fine since I put  it together in April with 4.0-STABLE as
of April 27.

Two days ago I  decided to upgrade it to the latest  -stable and now the
new kernel panics right after putting  up the login prompt :( I narrowed
this down --  the following commands were in my  /etc/rc.local since the
end of April and removing the commented out one prevents the panics:

	sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge_cfg=dc0:1,dc1:0,dc2:1
	sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge=1
	#sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1
	sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw_drop=0
	sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw_collisions=0

Unfortunately, it also allows access to our internal hosts :(

I'm also noticing, that even though I don't want the bridging of dc1, it
is put into the promiscuous mode anyway. What's wrong? Thanks,

	-mi