Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 17:48:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Bush <mab@kougars.kish.cc.il.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: fatal 3D-Now?

On 05-Apr-00 Mike Bush wrote:
> CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (501.14-MHz 586-class CPU)
>   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping = 12
>   Features=0x8021bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE,MMX>
>   AMD Features=0x80000800<SYSCALL,3DNow!>
> RAM: SDRAM 64MB
> DRIVE: 1 6GB SCSI
>
> Ok, I've replaced my CPU and ram. Same error, I get "program cc1 got fatal
> signal 4" when I try to compile something large.. like say, buildworld or a
> new kernel. I've been told this means its a hardware problem, which is why I
> replaced my CPU/RAM. Anywho, if I turn off internal caching in the BIOS the
> system boots fine and I can compile without problems.. even though it takes
> about 6 hours longer to buildworld. I've talked to other people who have AMD
> 3D-Now's and it seems they have the same problem in linux. Odd. Is there a
> bug in those AMD's? Is there no 'good' workaround? Is the kernel reading the
> size of the cache wrong or what? Any info would be helpful.

My K6 works fine.  Which cache did you turn off in the BIOS the L1 or the L2?
If the L2 then it sounds like your L2 cache might be messed up, which you
may be able to fix with new cache memory or a new motherboard, depending on how
it is messed up.

CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (300.68-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x580  Stepping = 0
  Features=0x8001bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,MMX>
  AMD Features=0x80000800<SYSCALL,3DNow!>
real memory  = 67108864 (65536K bytes)
avail memory = 62214144 (60756K bytes)