Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 14:34:06 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@sour.cream.org>
Cc:        alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation problems

On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 01:14:57AM +0000, Andrew Boothman wrote:
> alissa bader wrote:
> >
> > I have been tearing my hair out over this for the past 2 days.

If that happens, you know you've done something wrong. Not a FreeBSD
mistake, but a seeking help mistake. Take a look at
http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies/ to find out how to deal with
problems. Alissa, don't ever get yourself into this state, it's not worth
it! :-)

One of the worst things you can do when you have a problem is to blame
yourself. The other is to write to the wrong place for help. This is
the wrong place for help. freebsd-questions@freebsd.org is THE place
for all support. Over a thousand experienced users will be checking
every answer you get there. As Andrew said:

> I'm afraid I don't know anything about that spacific message, so if that
> doesn't help you'll have to try questions@freebsd.org and see if someone
> more experienced can help you.

See? That should be your first port of call, not your last hope!
Please, people, if you see others asking for help here, send them to
freebsd-questions or answer their questions *there* yourself. This is
not a technical support group. It's a place to learn how to *get* help.
You can help people learn that. If you try to answer support questions
here you are robbing a new user of access to the best support that is
available. Others on this list will copy you and it'll escalate.

Ask here about using the mailing lists or where to find documentation,
organise newbies activities, let off steam, or just chat. Help others
learn to use the support system that is already available, or discuss
ways to improve it. This is all set out in the list charters, the list
subscription advice, and in the weekly reposting to this list which
last came through yesterday. If that's not enough, I don't know what is.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-