Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 21:33:07 -0400
From:      "Paul A. Howes" <pahowes@fair-ware.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   atdisk driver question...

I recently started upgrading several computers from 3.4S to 4.0S.  The first
one went off without a single problem, and is happily humming right next to
me.  With that success behind me, I decided to upgrade an old Toshiba
Satellite Pro 2400CS notebook computer.

It has worked perfectly with 3.3 and 3.4 in the past.  I followed all of the
instructions for the upgrade process.  When I got to the point of rebooting
with my spiffy new 4.0 kernel, the trouble began...  All of the devices
recognize fine.  The root partition of the hard drive mounts.  Then, I get
an error that /dev/wd0s1f is larger than the partition.  "fsck" also bombs
out, telling me that it cannot read several sectors.  If I reboot with my
3.4S kernel, the system comes up without a hitch.  And yes, I created ad0,
ad0s1[abcdefgh] to match the old "wd" device identifiers.

The only difference I can think of between the two computers, is that the
server I already upgraded has a 20GB hard drive, and an old BIOS.  I had to
partition that to get the whole thing recognized by FreeBSD.  The notebook
computer has the original Toshiba 503MB hard drive, which I used the
"dangerously dedicated" option on when I installed.

So, the short version of this question is, does the new "ad" driver not
handle "dangerously dedicated" systems properly?  Has anyone else seen this
before?  I'm going to try re-installing 3.4S using a "normal" disk
partition, and see what happens.  But, I wanted to send a message to the
list while I'm doing that.

Thanks!

--Paul A. Howes