Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 09:40:59 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: loopback i/f bug (?) [ was Re: Some trouble with SCSI HD]

In article <97Jun16.173857pdt.177512@crevenia.parc.xerox.com>,
Bill Fenner  <fenner@parc.xerox.com> wrote:
> I use the "ssh -L 5999:localhost:5999 -R 9898:localhost:9898" trick
> along with "cvsup -h localhost -P 9898" and haven't experienced any
> problems with a -current vintage 5/20/97.

Yes, it doesn't happen when you tunnel through ssh.  It turns out
that you have to set up quite an uncommon state of affairs in order
to make it fail.

I spent a couple days on it with tcpdump and the kernel debugger,
and was able to track it down to a bug in the TCP stack.  The bug
is exposed by (but not caused by) the large MTU and buffer sizes
chosen when localhost is used.  (Compare "route get localhost" with
"route get yourhost.domain.com".)  I have a small test program that
reliably makes it fail even when localhost isn't used.  I also have
a simple fix which is being reviewed.

It's not likely to be related to the NFS hangs, since this bug is
in the TCP stack and not in the UDP code.