Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:21:48 -0400
From:      Robert Healey <healer@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with mxge on RELENG_8_1

Hello.

I recently updated the central file server/router systems for a pair of
research clusters from RELENG_8_0 to RELENG_8_1.  After following the
proper procedures, the network throughput when pulling files from both
machines via mxge0 is 200KB/s or less.  Before the update, 50MB/s was
the normal rate.

Doing some testing, with the 8.1 kernel booted, I can upload files to
the server over the 10G link with scp or NFS at the expected rates.  I
can fetch files from the Internet using this server as the NAT gateway
also at the expected rates.  Retrieving files from the server over mxge,
the throughput falls to 200KB/s.  Retrieving files from the server from
the onboard Broadcom NIC, rates are as to be expected from gigabit.
With 8.0, everything works as expected.

Hardware Config 1:
Dell Poweredge R610 with 2 Xeon E5530 @ 2.4 GHz, hyperthreading disabled
and 24GB RAM.  Onboard interface is bce. Disk is attached via a PERC
6/E. Internal cluster switch is Dell Powerconnect 6248P.  This switch
sees excessive large packets on the 10G connection on 8.1, but not 8.0.

Hardware Config 2:
HP Proliant DL 320G6 with 1 Xeon  E5540 @ 2.53GHz, hyperthreading
enabled and 8GB RAM.  Onboard interface is bge.  Disk is attached via a
HP Smart Array P212.  Internal cluster switch is an HP Procurve 2910al.
  It does not see any packet errors from the 10G link.

If anyone could point me in the general direction of a solution, I would
  be very appreciative.  Thank you.

--
Bob Healey
Systems Administrator