Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 21:04:10 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ipfw and natd

I'm using ifpw and natd.  In order for natd to work, the following rule
must be present somewhere within the ipfw rules.

divert    natd ip   from any              to any           via ed0

(or whatever your external nic is if it's not ed0).

Where should that rule be placed in relationship to other rules?  At the
top, at the bottom?

I used to have it as the last rule (before the deny all rule).  But an
example I just found
(http://www.metronet.com/~pgilley/freebsd/ipfw/ben2.html) has this rule at
the top.

I'm confused.  I thought you'd want to disallow stuff before allowing the
natd stuff.  Or am I mucked up?

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited