Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 11:05:16 -0700
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My opinion about freebsd (fwd)

Joel N. Weber II wrote:
> I'm not sure I consider all the repetitive OS development productive,
> but I'd certainly rather see the same SCSI driver written seprately
> by the BSD and GPL communities rather than have the government mandating
> that everyone use VMS and nothing else.

That's just one of the reasons to use FreeBSD and not Linux. Some things
(like the kernel) are better with a Berkeley-like license, and some
things (some apps.) are better with GPL.
In the free world, if you spend years developing your high quality tool,
and lots of persons will benefit from it, it's only fair that you
receive a part of that benefit. The existance of a GNU license only
forces a good quality in the final products: if you find a free utility
that does all you need you will not buy the commercial version.

When someone buys a M$ OS, he is buying the usability which started this
thread. In this sense SCO and the other UNIX resellers seem to have
accepted they can't beat win-95, their competidor is NT. In this sense I
think it is dishonest to say to the end user that FreeBSD will replace
his win-95 box (although it did for some of us) as it is dishonest to
say that win-NT is more usable than all unices (although it's true for
some).

	Pedro.