Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 01:58:11 +0100
From:      "Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Boris <koester@x-itec.de>, Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux, Solaris, and NT

Dennis wrote to Boris et all:

> >Device Drivers
> >--------------
> >I donīt like binary only device drivers. The code of an operating
> >system is more complex than a driver. if a company does not want to
> >publish the sourcecode, the should go away.
>
> You've lost all credibility here. Well supported device drivers should not
> require source. I'd prefer a commercial (preferably the manufacters)
> support other than some guy in the ural mountains who fixes things IF he
> can get a card with a problem and IF he can duplicate the problem and IF
> hes a good enough coder to get it done.

> "hacker mentality" is not mainstream. 98% of people dont have a clue what

`Mainstream' is a target some seek to avoid.  Micro$oft exemplifies mainstream.

> to do with source code. They want products that just work. Your
> recommendation, if you make such a recommendation regarding "source over
> binary", suits your own requirements and not that of your client or readers
> and shows very poor judgement.

`Best Judgement' depends on perspective, consider different perspectives:

A) Hardware vendor who provides no driver sources, to avoid giving competition
   insight into hardware, &/or to lock in customers.
B) Hardware vendor who provides sources, pleases hackers, & gets free positive
   publicity from those hackers.
C) Leisure hacker: "I'm here to hack sources, binaries are boring"
D) Leisure users: `make' of sources pleases them even if not programming.
E) System installers, installing binary systems at dependent customers.
F) Consultants willing to hack customer user's delivered source if paid.
G) Dependent customers: "just want it to work, forever, at minimum cost"
H) CDROM vendors, income raises with OS popularity.
I) True `power users', ie programmers using sourced OS to maintain businesses.
J) etc, ... other perspectives possible too.

Your `judgement' is dependent on your perspective.

I don't trust _any_ company not to cease support, by bankrupcy,
being taken over, losing focus or key staff transfer/promotion etc.

Customers receiving source code have the security that if a problem later
arises, they can use money as an incentive to get some consultant to fix it,
even if the original manufacturer/vendor has lost interest.

If 2 competing FreeBSD drivers are ever available for one piece of hardware,
one binary & professionaly supported, & one sourced & amateur support,
I expect FreeBSD will provide hooks for both, & let users decide themselves,
as is done with MATH_EMULATE & GPL_MATH_EMULATE.

Julian
-
Julian Stacey     Unix Consultant - Munich Germany     http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
        Considering Linux ?     Try FreeBSD with its 4000 packages !
 Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Kau/Schnupftabak probieren !