Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 20:36:26 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        mo@uu.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMBIOS/DMI etc

On Jul 29, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> Stefan Esser stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I have considered adding calls to the PCI BIOS as an
> > alternate mechanism to directly reading configuration
> > space registers. But I have no intention to make the
> > PCI code depend on PCI BIOS services.
>
> This is because...?

1) I don't like to have assembler code in the PCI driver

2) The 32bit PCI BIOS calls are known to be broken in many
   486 based systems, and you can't get BIOS upgrades for
   them, anymore.

3) Most functions of the PCI BIOS are trivial to implement.

> > But I do not have time to debug the BIOS32 functionality,
> > right now, and need to know it is operational, before I
> > try to use it ...
>
> I think I've found enough help to sort it out; I'd be more than
> happy to present you with an API of your choice on a platter.

Thanks. Did you consider to commit the bios32.{c,h} files to
-current soon ? (Or did I just miss the commit message ?? :)

If I know that the assembler part is working, I can easily
implement the missing interface code myself. This is probably
easier then specifying the API in text form ...

Regards, STefan