Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 22:21:35 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: src/gnu

> With all the recent dicussion about upgrading the various FSF
> maintained utilities to be something slightly less archaic, I was
> wondering if it was time to do a ``cvs remove'' on /usr/src/gnu and
> move to /usr/src/gpl. This was discussed a while back, so that the
> tools would be properly imported onto vendor branches, and *IN THEORY*
> be more maintainable as a result. (a while back being sometime while
> Rod was still CVS Meister if I remember).

If we had a living chance, I'd rather get rid of ALL the gnu stuff
entirely, whizz bang dead it is...

> Comments? What does our current cvs meister thing?
>
> (The reason behind the move is the fact that the import wasn't done
>  properly in the first place, and if I remember, the tools were just
>  brought over wholesale from the 1.x source tree rather than being
>  seperately imported so that they could be mainained).

Hmm, the question is rather WHO is going to maintain it ??
Most of the gnu stuff is now so - so - entangeled, that it is
almost useless if its not known to work on your OS to begin
with (yeah I've had my share of struggle with it recently
at work, thats why I'm so negative about gnu stuff).
If we are going to maintain a B'maked version of all the
things, that is going to be a major task just keeping up
to date. And mesured by the quality of lets say gcc-2.7.x
I'm not even sure I want to upgrade :)
I'd rather be interested in finding alternatives from the
free world (I know the compiler & debugger is going to be
hard to replace, allthough there is some definite candidates).

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..