Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2006 21:04:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Ahmad Arafat Abdullah <trunasuci@mail.com>, backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com, "pobox@verysmall.org" <pobox@verysmall.org>, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to apply a patch set

--- Ahmad Arafat Abdullah <trunasuci@mail.com> wrote:

> [...]

are you running verision 6.1 or 5.5 on those servers?
I'm fairly certain -pX only occurs on the latest
production Release engines which to date is version
6.1. Release 5.x is no longer actively produced for
production and the patches, bug fixes, and security
updates are there to make servers built on RELENG_5
more secure, stable, etc.

> for this case ( back to the topics ), I think this
> guy do the right method for cvsup-ed to
> 5.5-RELEASE-pX
> but it end up with 5.5-STABLE. So i think we better
> help him and solve it since he maybe not need
> -STABLE
> like u said
>
> TQ
>

> p/s: Correct me if I'm wrong anyone!
>
> --

My point was I don't think you can get a RELEASE until
you cvsup and STABLE becomes the next RELEASE. STABLE
includes the security fixes and major bugfixes.
CURRENT is all those plus new features...

---------------
from:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html

RELENG_5_5

    The release branch for FreeBSD-5.5, used only for
security advisories and other critical fixes.

RELENG_5_5_0_RELEASE

    FreeBSD 5.5

RELENG_5

    The line of development for FreeBSD-5.X, also
known as FreeBSD 5-STABLE.

A.7.2 Release Tags

These tags refer to a specific point in time when a
particular version of FreeBSD was released. The
release engineering process is documented in more
detail by the Release Engineering Information and
Release Process documents. The src tree uses tag names
that start with RELENG_ tags. The ports and doc trees
use tags whose names begin with RELEASE tags. Finally,
the www tree is not tagged with any special name for
releases.

-------------

there doesn't seem to be a tag that gives you specific
patchsets. And I would think a RELEASE like 5.X which
is slated for obsoleteness, and considered deprecated;
to be used in production environments already running
RELEASE_5.

it seems I'm using the wrong word here again...
CURRENT is version 7.0 or what I would refer to as
CURRENT version 5.x which is a tag=RELENG_5 this is
STABLE which would give you the latest version of
FreeBSD 5.X, ie 5.6, 5.7..., he used a tag=RELENG_5_5
which would give you STABLE because 5.5 IS the latest
version of FreeBSD 5.x. had 5.6 come out he would have
still gotten the latest version of 5.5 with that tag
not 5.6.

He SHOULD have the latest security patchs and critical
bug fixes. there doesn't seem to be anything to fix.
The only way his system would be called RELEASE 5.5-pX
would be if the latest version of 5.5 that was
available to the tag=RELENG_5_5 was a snapshot release
of this new release.

A new release like Version 6.1 has many -pX associated
with it because it is the newest release of the system
and the committers are working on patchsets to
complete version 6.2. They are likely snapshotting
these versions in order to make bug testing and
confirmation of completeness in each patchset to the
next release version.

The only thing 5-STABLE will do will make using
sysinstall to install software tricky because they're
won't be a tag of 5-STABLE for the ports, but using
pkg_add or building from source will eliminate this
problem.

He could go back to tag=RELEASE_5_5_RELEASE to get the
5.5-RELEASE uname but then he would have the same
version on his cd.

somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as
though he's good to go.

-brian