Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:31:14 GMT
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@valis.dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   AMD and CD-ROM

To the folks asking about automounting a CD-ROM last week,

I just got my CD drive working with amd today, so maybe this will help.  The
map file, in /etc/amd.map, looks like this:

/defaults       type:=host;fs:=${autodir}/${rhost};rhost:=${key}
*               opts:=rw,grpid

valis		type:=auto;\
		fs:=${map};\
		pref:=${key}/

valis/cdrom	type:=program;\
		fs:=/mnt/cdrom;\
		mount:="/sbin/mount mount /mnt/cdrom";\
		unmount:="/sbin/umount umount /mnt/cdrom"

The first two lines are as shipped with 2.1.5R, the rest of it I added.  The
mountpoint for valis (the name of the machine) is just to keep all the mounts
for that machine in one place, in case I have have more than one box here.

The CD is locally mounted on /mnt/cdrom, with a corresponding entry in
/etc/fstab:

/dev/wcd0c	/mnt/cdrom	cd9660	ro,noauto 0 0

Amd then mounts this as /a/valis/cdrom, and a have a symbolic link from /cdrom
to there.  Thus a 'cd /cdrom' now causes the CD to be mounted :)

I'm running amd at boot time, with the following line in /etc/sysconfig:

amdflags="-a /a -c 1800 -k i386 -d dcs.qmw.ac.uk -l syslog /a /etc/amd.map"

All this was arrived at through several hours of trial and error, plus lots of
cursing at the amd documentation.  I still don't really inderstand what it's
all doing, but it does appear to work.

HTH,

	Scott

 Scott Mitchell, CompSci Dept, Queen Mary & Westfield College, London, UK
       mailto:scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk   http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~scott
            finger scott@ruby.dcs.qmw.ac.uk for PGP public key