Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2013 14:31:28 +0400
From:      Artem Kuchin <matrix@itlegion.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Software raid VS hardware raid

29.01.2013 11:54, Michael Powell:
> Artem Kuchin wrote:
>

> I guess what I'm trying to point out is that low performance wrt software
> RAID will stem from other things besides just simply consuming a few CPU
> cycles. Today's CPUs have the cycles to spare.  I've been using gmirror for
> RAID 1 mirrors for a few years now and am happy with this. I have had a few
> old drives die and the servers stayed up and online. This allowed me to
> defer the actual drive replacement and not have to drop everything and fight
> fire.

Thank you everyone for replying.

I realize that many other things affect the performance, not only the
CPU power. For example,
disk IO kernel multithreading is one of the things. But i guess in FBSD
9 it is more or less solved.
The server is going to be a web server with many sites and with mysql
running on it. Nothing really really
heavy. Currently with run all this on our own server with 8 cores and
16GB ram and 3ware raid1
and cpu load is about 5% :) Everything is quick and responsive. I hope
to see the same on a software raid.

I really don't want to deploy ZFS on a new server where all these site
need to migrate because i am kind of
"don't fix it if it is not broken" kind of guy.
UFS+journaling+softupdates served us well for years and snapshots
are available on ufs too.

My other concern is what happens when one drive goes down if we use
gmirror? Is it completelly transparent
and bad drive can be hot swapped while server is running and rebuild
started?
I am thinking now about gpt+gmirror (including boot and swap)

Artem