Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:47:00 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Odd ex0 Problem in 4.0

I installed FreeBSD 4.0 onto a i486DX that has an Intel EtherExpress
Pro NIC, ex0. The NIC has been acting weird with 4.0 where there
previously were no problems with 3.x.

After I boot up, if I try to connect to or ping the 486 from others on
the LAN, there is no response, just,

sendto: Host is down

Messages. Likewise, if I go to the console of the 486 and try to ping
out, nothing. tcpdump(8) on one of the other machines shows silence
from the 486. However, this is where it gets strange...

The 486 has,

ex0: flags=843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
        ether 00:aa:00:a5:af:91

from ifconfig(8) and,

ex0: <Intel Pro/10> at port 0x300-0x30f irq 10 on isa0
ex0: Ethernet address 00:aa:00:a5:af:91