Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:26:47 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Jurgis <jurgis@delfi.lv>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting problem: No /boot/loader

On 2002-08-26 09:53 +0000, Jurgis wrote:
> I have and old IBM PS/ValuePoint with 486DX33 16MB RAM and
> 1.7GB HDD.
>
> I installed FreeBSD 4.5 but it displays:
> No /boot/loader
> when booting and continues to boot kernel.  Because of that I cannot
> use "top" and my network card does not work.
>
> As I understand problem is connected with 528MB limit in BIOS.
> /boot/boot2 cannot find /boot/loader and therefore /boot/kernel.conf
> is not executed (network card is configured there).
>
> I configured the disk like this:
> <swap> - 64M
> / - the rest of the disk

It's probably a good idea to have more than one partitions there.
Can you try making partitions like this?

	Size(MB)	Mount-point
	200		/
	1700-200-64	/usr
	64		swap

This way you'll have some space in / for /tmp, /var and basic stuff
needed to boot, and do basic work and still avoid hitting the 512MB
limit.  The sizes are not by any means "optimal" for your use of the
machine (since I don't know what it's supposed to do), but you get the
basic idea.

--
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve <> http://www.FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Wed Aug 21 22:08:19 EEST 2002