Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:34:08 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Paddy T <pad_123@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Log files - newbie

> I am a total newbie.

Is that why you sent this message three times?  :)

> 1.Where Free BSD will log users' activities?

Some activities are logged, and some are not, by default.  Most logs
get dropped, as a rule, in the /var/log directory.

> 2.Whether log files need to be configured or they are
> automatically configured to be used when we set up

Much logging happens by default.  You can tweak it by playing with
/etc/syslog.conf; see syslog.conf(5) and syslogd(8).

> 3.For how long will they save the logs?ie how many days?

That's configurable.  Rotation of the log files is controlled by the
`newsyslog' program; see /etc/newsyslog.conf and newsyslog(8).

> 4.How to reduce the size of log files?

The answer is the same as to question `3'.

> If a user uses su and then uses some more commands before
> exiting,will those commands(after su and before exit)be logged as
> well?

Your question seems to presuppose that every command any (non-root)
user executes is logged.  This is not the case.  In fact, the commands
your users execute are not logged without considerable effort on your
part.  You could look at the history files their shells leave, but
there's no reason they couldn't kill those before logging out (or
never create them in the first place).

Lucas