Date:      16 Apr 2000 01:49:02 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, "David E. O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/tcsh - Imported sources

 * From: Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>

 * IMHO, the way to keep most people happy (or least unhappy :-]) is to finish
 * the tcsh thing, and change root's shell to /bin/sh and probably change the
 * default new-user shell to sh as well if it isn't already.

I agree with everything except for this part.  The root's shell in BSD
has always been csh for as long as I can remember, and it will violate
POLA to change it now.  (This is from a person who will immediately
run bash in single-user mode if /usr/local is available and sh -E if
it is not, so don't take it as a csh crusade.)

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "default new-user shell" but if
you leave the shell part empty in the password entry for a new user,
he will get sh.  This has also been the behavior of BSD for as long as
I can remember (and it probably goes back to the single Unix days) and
obviously doesn't need any changing either.

Satoshi