Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 17:30:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      dnelson@emsphone.com (Dan Nelson)
To:        dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com (Dave Babler)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Termcap vs. screen

in the last episode, Dave Babler said:
> I have been trying to get 'screen' to work. It makes okay, installs okay
> but what keeps messing up is that no matter what I do, it ALWAYS wants to
> use its own idea of the screen (SC) termcap/terminfo entry. I have the
> termcap source, and have been modifying it for our use here. Almost all of
> my users are running some sort of DOS ANSI emulation (not at all
> compatable with vt100), and we have our own termcap for them. I also
> incorporate the termcap (screencap) entries when I make the terminal
> database, and the /etc/termcap file CLEARLY shows our replacement SC
> terminal type (and there is only 1 entry for it in termcap), and you can
> select it using stty and all is well... Until you try to run screen... at
> which time it reverts to what I can only assume to be a compiled-in
> termcap of it's own, regardless of what the man page says and regardless
> of what the initial settings for $TERM and $TERMCAP are.

Screen is doing what it's supposed to be doing.  Screen is a terminal
emulator.  It translates the SC terminal codes (which happen to look
like regular ANSI codes, but don't depend on that) into the codes for
your particular terminal.  For a while, I used screen on Heath/Zenith
z19 terminals so I could run programs with VT100 codes hardcodes into
them.

What specifically is wrong with the builtin termcap entry?  It
describes exactly the capabilities of the SC terminal that screen
emulates.  You shouldn't even need the SC termcap entry in
/etc/termcap, unless you're telnetting around to different machines. If
screen output looks funny, it's probably a problem with the original
termcap entry that screen read when it started, not with screen's
internal termcap entry.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com