Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 20:07:28 +1100
From:      Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
Subject:   Re: I would like your comment on this configuration

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996 21:24:49 -0500 (EST)  Kenneth Merry wrote:

> 	FWIW, my employer got 7 PC's with the HP1553A's in them...and
> has had trouble with tapes jamming in some of them.  (I didn't mess with
> them much...so I can't really speak from personal experience. )

In my experience problems with tapes jamming in DDS drives have
usually been traced back to the operators.  DDS drives are not as
robust as the QIC drives we used to use. :-(

If anyone can post anything substantive about problems with 120m tapes
in DDS-2 drives I'd be keen to hear.  This is the first problem I've
heard about recovering data from 120m tapes.

Regards,

Giles

P.S. I have only once lost data on a DDS tape: the tape had been
travelling in a car (not mine!) for six or eight weeks of an
Australian summer before it was used, which I figured was a reasonable
excuse ...