Date:      Sun, 26 May 2002 23:00:50 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Phil Rosenthal <winter@villaweb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID vs vinum

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 23:41:39 -0400, Phil Rosenthal wrote:
> I've been using vinum for about a year now, and have been using it on some
> pretty large, heavily accessed RAID5 file system (500GB & 70MBits/sec
> constantly ).
> Is there any reason why a hardware raid would be better, am I missing out on
> anything?

As someone else mentioned, CPU utilization, and possibly features,
depending on the RAID card.

> What hardware RAID cards are best under FreeBSD 4.6?

I would recommend an Adaptec 5400S.  It has a hardware parity engine to
accelerate RAID-5 parity calculations, so writes will be faster than on a
RAID card without a parity engine.

On the read side, I've seen one of those cards pump out 175MBytes/sec.
(under NT, the guy doing the test didn't have FreeBSD installed), and I
think the benchmarks claim it can do up to 190MB/sec on reads.  (From
looking at the benchmark web page, it looks like they only got 160MB/sec,
but since I've seen it go faster I think that's a tad low.)

Writes are obviously slower, but the parity engine helps speed things up.

The card also does well with high transaction loads.

(disclaimer:  I work for Adaptec)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry