Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:45:05 +1000
From:      "Pietralla, Siegfried P" <siegfried.pietralla@eds.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   yet another boot problem

hi all,

i'm having a problem getting my new install of 4.5 to boot. i've
successfully run through the install onto ad3s3 and the boot manager for the
second disk comes up ( and lets me go back to disk one so i know it's
working ) but when i pick 'f3' it just beeps at me. i can boot into 4.3 in
ad0s3, then i mount ad3s3a onto /u33a, 'cd /u33a/boot', 'disklabel -B -b
./boot1 -s ./boot2 ad3s3' but it still doesn't help. i did successfully
install 4.5 onto this disk a few weeks ago but i had it limited to 32Gb with
a jumper on the disk since my bios wouldn't recognize it otherwise. now i'm
running a new bios and i can see the whole disk. i 'fdisk'ed and
'disklabel'ed it from 4.3 using a geometry of 116301/16/63 which is
reflected by dmesg when i boot up from the install cd but when i step
through the installer it doesn't like this at all and insists on something
like 7000/255/63. is this what's causing my problem? if so, how can i
install 4.5 without going through the disk slicing and labelling part of the
installer? why can i mount ad3s3a? this seems to imply everything's o.k. i
did 'dd if=/dev/ad3s3 count=1 | od -c' and this looks the same as
/u33a/boot/boot1. is this correct? where can i check boot2? and can i
install it manually with dd?

let me know if you want any more info.

thanx,
siegfried.