Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 2014 09:28:46 -0700
From:      jungleboogie0 <jungleboogie0@gmail.com>
To:        Walter Hop <freebsd@spam.lifeforms.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, Pawel Biernacki <pawel.biernacki@gmail.com>, Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@icloud.com>, =?UTF-8?Q?Dag=2DErling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Subject:   Re: Proposal

Hi Walter,

On 9 April 2014 08:17, Walter Hop <freebsd@spam.lifeforms.nl> wrote:
>> In my opinion this issue couldn't have been handled any better consideri=
ng what it takes to do the job properly, congrats to the security team from=
 me.

>> -Kimmo
>
> Please don=E2=80=99t frame this as criticism of the security people, that=
=E2=80=99s not fair. Of course we all congratulate them :)

> I think we=E2=80=99re just interested in discussing what could be improve=
d to improve response time and also make their lives better.

> Do we need moar Jenkins? Extra build boxes? More cash to keep people on r=
etainer? Resources for training new people? Liaisons with other projects to=
 improve prior notification channels? Etc.

> FreeBSD ports had a fix after ~4 hours I think, Ubuntu patched their base=
 about an hour later, FreeBSD base took around 24 hours. Not super bad, but=
 I think it=E2=80=99s safe to expect much more scrutiny of security-critica=
l code in the coming years, so it looks like a good time to try to streamli=
ne if possible at all.

Please let us not forget that kernel.org was hacked and not detected
for 17 days: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/31/linux_kernel_security_=
breach/

I would rather was 24 hours for a fix that's been verified and
reviewed over having to re-update the system. It looks like many linux
distros had this updated before
freeBSD but its a matter of hours we're talking about.

> The public attention for this and similar events may also provide a uniqu=
e window of opportunity for soliciting extra resources from professional us=
ers (e.g. via a Foundation campaign).

> --
> Walter Hop | PGP key: https://lifeforms.nl/pgp

--=20