Date:      21 Oct 2002 17:05:04 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does a web server need ipfw?

> I'm just wondering if most web servers don't run a firewall?  We've
> setup a FreeBSD web server without ipfw running, and I don't really
> see any reason to run ipfw since the only services I have running are
> httpd and sshd.  We have also attempted to secure the machine in the
> other typical ways.
>
> Are there vulnerabilities that this web server is open to by not
> running a firewall?

Not specifically, no.  But running a firewall would leave you in less
danger if (a) you make a configuration mistake that opens up a
vulnerability, or (b) a new vulnerability is discovered which *does*
apply to your system.

It's a belt-and-suspenders thing, but it would take so little effort
to set up that I'd recommend it as a good investment.