Date:      Tue, 04 Jan 2000 21:58:52 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: differences between SCSI and EIDE [was: wanna buy an EIDE  harddisk... 5400 or 7200 for home use (noise)]

Matthew Jacob schrieb:

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
>

> > >anyway, thank you all for responding and sheading light on my
> > >confusion. i'd always thought that scsi was the better way to
> > >go, either fro the 'comercial' environment or the ever more
> > >demanding 'home' environment.
> >
> > Well this is actually an interesting question.  My salesman says the
> > HDAs are the same in SCSI and EIDE drives, so reliability-wise there
> > should be no difference.
>
> > words the drive logic has it's own queue management?  And EIDE drives
> > require their device drivers to perform all queue management and only
> > initiate a command after the previous one has completed?
> >
> > Is the bottom line result of this that the SCSI drive has a much greater
> > chance of servicing multiple processes during a single media revolution
> > while the EIDE will frequently take multiple revolutions to service the
> > same queue?

Hi!

Well, in corresponding HDDs, the mechanical parts are the same, only
equipped with a different electronic controller. I remember the old
Quantum Fireball series, that were clearly designed as a mass-market
HDD. the SCSI interface was also a very cheap design, it was one of the
slowest SCSI HDDs I've ever had. I suppose they only did it to have some
product in the lower end of the portfolio. Anyway, it was much cheaper
than the IBM or seagate drives targeted mainly at the server market.

Nowadays you have the problem, that fews HDDs will share the same
mechanical parts as of SCSI and IDE version, because most SCSI Hdds are
designed for "heavy duty", therefore they are much more expensive in
manufacturing of the interior. Ok, the Quantum Fireball plus KA is one
of the few IDE Hdds that has server mechanisms inside, but I do not
remember any cheap mass market HDDs that have some mechanical parts from
the (far more expensive) server drives from the same company. (If
someone could prove me wrong, I'd be happy to hear about the
manufacturer ;-) )

Yes, drives like the barracuda ATA or so will of course share the same
interior than the SCSI ones, but they are in a different pricing
league...
Anyway, the quality of the controller with its size of cache and the
caching algorithms will definitively decide about the real performance.

regards
Olaf Hoyer