Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 12:34:09 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        "David A. Bader" <dbader@eece.unm.edu>, will@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/12188: New port: pbs-2.1.11 (misc/PBS) a batch scheduler

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 10:45:47PM -0400, Trevor Johnson wrote:
> > Rationale: there are several Linux clustering projects (Beowulf,
> > ExtremeLinux, TurboLinux, etc.) that aim to provide all the tools to
> > use Linux in high-performance cluster computing.
>
> This sort of thing is the height of fashion and has attracted a lot of
> favorable attention for the Linux folks.

Yes, I agree. I will make more effort to test the port and get it added to
the tree. Thanks for your contribution, David, and sorry for not realizing
the purpose/advantage of this port before.  :-)

> I am not a lawyer, but from my reading of the license (which can be
> displayed by browsing http://pbs.mrj.com/license.php3\?site_id=anonymous)
> it looks to me as though we could include this program as a package on
> CD-ROMs and mirror the distfile, so long as the license is not removed
> from the distfile (assuming it is in there--I didn't feel like filling out
> their survey) and is printed before the package is installed.  It looks
> like putting it in pkg/MESSAGE would achieve this.  The license reads like
> a BSD license with the old advertising clause--no more restrictive than
> the license on FreeBSD itself was last July (see /usr/src/COPYRIGHT).

Ok, I'll take another shot at the license and perhaps we will finally close
this very-old PR, and see pbs included in the 4.1-RELEASE CDs.  The fact
that David replied so quickly also helps with this job, since there is
probably no way I can test this port in clustering environments.  I only
have two FreeBSD systems and they are linked by ethernet.

> > > I think perhaps if people want to install PBS they could read a
> > > howto instead of usin a port.
>
> It's strange to read such seeming dismissal of the ports collection from
> someone who has contributed so much to it.

You know, you're absolutely right.  But I'm used to programs that do not
have restrictive licenses.  If you look at the 80 or so ports I maintain,
you will notice none of them have anything other than the QPL, GPL, BSDL,
or artistic licenses.  My real sympathy is with open-source programs.  ;-)

Since I'm mostly complaining about silly restrictions and since pbs covers
a niche the ports collection doesn't currently, I will personally see to it
that pbs is in the tree before June.

Thanks,
--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>