Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:20:13 -0800
From:      chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Opinions wanted - dealing with file sharing in AOL IM

One of my sons asked me today, about opening a port on the firewall so he=
 and=20
some friends from school can share files. I'm a bit leary of opening a po=
rt=20
on the firewall. I know my freebsd boxes will be safe from windoze viruse=
s by=20
there are also 4 windoze boxes on my network. I was thinking maybe openin=
g a=20
high number port, say over 50000 or whatever (at least then it would be=20
relatively safe from casual port scanners). Or is this 'stinkin thinkin'?
I suggested setting up an ftp site and he could give his friends password=
s,=20
but he would rather just use the IM sharing feature. I've never used, so =
I'm=20
not familiar with it.=20
How have you guys dealt with this?
--=20
Chip

Windows 95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patc=
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.