Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:21:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sound card, multiple rates

I've got a question that I always had just been a fact of life until
now.

I have an Aztech Sound Galaxy Pro 16 sound card.  In order for it to
function, I have following in my kernel config file [line break
added]:

  # Sound card
  controller snd0
  device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
  device opl0 at isa? port 0x388
  # device mss0 at isa? port 0x530 conflicts irq 5 conflicts drq 1  \
      conflicts vector adintr disabled
  # device uart0 at isa? port 0x330 irq 5 vector "m6850intr"
  options CONFIG_SBPRO
  # options	__SGNXPRO__
  device joy0 at isa? port "IO_GAME"
  pseudo-device speaker

Without the CONFIG_SBPRO, /dev/audio becomes a no-op.  That's a minor
issue, but one that I probably should add to LINT.

My question is about sample rates.  The first file I play (using
cp foo.au /dev/audio, with a proper header on foo.au according to
sox) sometimes comes out at the wrong sample rate.  If I ^C it and
start again, the correct sample rate is emitted.

However, this only takes place with 8000 Hz 8-bit sounds.  Others play
a distorted sound, clearly a different sample being interpreted as
8000 Hz 8-bit.

Should this be happening?

Best,
joelh