Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:28:19 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Andrey E. Lerman" <lae@uniyar.ac.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: info on suid/sgid files

"Andrey E. Lerman" wrote:

> [I'm sorry if it was discussed before, but archives search is
> not working right now. :( ]
> I did a quick search for a suid/sgid files on our server's hd
> and found a lot. I really didn't expected so many. I removed
> bits on about 80% of it without any visible (yet) impact to
> system's operation. So I'm wondering, where to find info about
> what these suid/sgid bits was for and what I loose removing
> them. Some of progs I chmod'ed really amazed me, for example
> quota, df, ps, dump, restore, shutdown...

	Well, it's unfortunate because I know you said it's down, but the best
source for this info is the archive. This is definitely a frequent topic of
conversation. And I agree, the list is quite long, and contains many
seldom-used items that I would like to see made into ports.

> It would be nice if info about need of increased privileges
> needed for given program would be clearly stated in manpage.

	Here is your chance to contribute to the project! After you've done your
research, submit diffs to the current man pages. You are not the first to
ask for this, but you *could* be the first to actually get it done.

Doug