Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:33:34 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        bmk@transport.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster 16 PnP

Brant wrote:

> > Meanwhile, you can use the board as long as you first boot up DOS to
> > configure it.  Then reboot into FreeBSD via CTRL-ALT-DELETE.  Don't
> > reboot via the reset button, or you'll probably unconfigure the board
> > again.
>
> Unfortunately, I've tried this and I can't get it to work this way
> either.

Strange, it works for me.

> I've also tried some alpha ISA PNP patches, and although the PNP probe
> sees and claims to initialize the card, the standard probe still fails.

Just a hunch, but this really sounds like a problem with your kernel
configuration, rather than a problem with the PnP stuff.  Once DOS gets
the hardware configured, it ought to stay configured as long as there is
power to the board.  (Or, at least, until the next hardware reset.)
Likewise for the alpha ISA PnP patches.  I have a hunch that the board
really is configured OK, but your kernel is not configured right to see it.

Are you using the standard SB16 addresses and interrupts?  Did you
notice the warning in "/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT" about that?

    # Beware!  The addresses specified below are also hard-coded in
    # i386/isa/sound/sound_config.h.  If you change the values here, you
    # must also change the values in the include file.

For what it's worth, here are the relevant lines from my own (working)
config file:

    # SoundBlaster-16
    controller      snd0
    device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 vector sbintr
    device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
    device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
    device opl0     at isa? port 0x388

Note, I disabled the parallel port interrupt (IRQ 7) to avoid a
conflict with this configuration.

Here are the probe messages I get from "dmesg":

    sb0 at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 on isa
    sb0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
    sbxvi0 at 0x0 drq 5 on isa
    sbxvo0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
    sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
     <SoundBlaster MPU-401>
    opl0 at 0x388 on isa
    opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>

I hope this well help you to get it working.