Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 1996 13:21:18 -0500
From:      chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE:A Few NITS about SCSI Tapes

On Jan 7, 10:46am, Frank Durda IV wrote:
} [0]The dump application exits with the error
} [0]		"st1: bad request, must be between 0 and 0"
}
} [1]I'd prefer the status light.  Perhaps a "non-locking" dev is the answer?
} [1]That is what I provided for the Matsushita CD-ROM drives.
}
} [2]I'd be inclined to unlock on rewind; it makes little or no sense to be
} [2]able to eject a partially-wound tape.  This would give automatic unlock
} [2]on close of the rewind device (the default).
}
} Actually ALL DAT drives perform an automatic rewind when the eject
} button is pushed.  It is not possible to get the drive to voluntarily
} eject a tape that is not rewound, so this is no an issue.

	ALL 8mm drives I've used also rewind on eject.

}-- End of excerpt from Frank Durda IV

Charles Green, PRC Inc.			             UN*X System Administration
22 Powell Ave. Apt. B 		   	                  UN*X Security   &
Whitesboro, NY 13492 			                     Programming