Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 10:17:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
To:        Rod Ebrahimi <info@pagecreators.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Servers and Network

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Rod Ebrahimi wrote:

> ...main focus is WWW,FTP,TELNET. This is what I was looking at:
>
> Main Server: Dual PPro200, 256MB, Raid5 4.0gig scsi drives, 9" mono VGA
> monitor
>
> ... is the main server overkill for WWW,FTP,TELNET?

How many hundreds of users were you going to have using it
simultaneously?

I ran a 1500 user ISP on basically one 486/66 with 64 MB of RAM
for quite some time. A little while after we exceeded 2000 users,
1.5 GB of mail per week, and 9 GB of web traffic per week, we
upgraded to a P133 with 96 MB of RAM. This is quite comfortable,
and fast. (We do have our news server on a separate machine, a
P90.)

I don't know how important money is to you, but if it is moderately
important, you can probably think of better ways of spending the
difference between a 128 MB P166 and a 256 MB dual PPro200.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates