Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:10:35 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: shell inconsistency - csh should remove

> Someone wrote:
> then If  I want to learn shell script programming on FreeBSD, there are
two shell
> languages to learn, two big horrible manuals to read,  this also sucks,  I
am tired.
> this is obstacle for Linux user switch to FreeBSD, bash is compatible with
sh,
> this is good, csh should definitely be removed from FreeBSD or default
> not to install it.

Regardless of which shell (or programming language) you use, there will
already be at least one big thick manual to read, so that argument does not
hold here.

It's entirely unreasonable to expect a native installation of an OS to be
perfectly customized to your tastes.  In terms of changing the default shell
to suit your tastes (or what you know), a 'chsh' command the first time you
log in will change the default shell to whatever you want.  (If you want
bash or pdksh or anything other than csh or sh, then you'll have to install
it from ports first.  Two simple commands:  cd /usr/ports/shells/<your shell
here>, make install)

I have a customization list a page long of all the things I do to my FreeBSD
machines when I set them up for the first time - changing shells and default
setups, installating utlities, etc. These customizations are just part of
what needs to be done to suit my preferences.  I suggest that you start
making a list for yourself, rather than asking the FreeBSD community to
change itself to suit you.

--
Matt Emmerton