Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 15:14:39 -0400
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "Unable to obtain socket...." from popper?

Ok, I went to sleep with popper working perfectly fine,  and I wake up
today with it dying with the message:
Apr 26 15:11:04 eyelab popper[432]: Unable to obtain socket and address of
client, err = 57
Apr 26 15:11:04 eyelab popper[428]: Unable to obtain socket and address of
client, err = 57
Apr 26 15:11:04 eyelab popper[423]: Unable to obtain socket and address of
client, err = 57
Apr 26 15:11:05 eyelab popper[431]: Unable to obtain socket and address of
client, err = 57
Apr 26 15:11:05 eyelab popper[425]: Unable to obtain socket and address of
client, err = 57
Apr 26 15:11:05 eyelab popper[419]: Unable to obtain socket and address of
client, err = 57
(This is repeated a bunch of time for every connect attempt).

Looking through the sources, this error is caused by a call to get
getpeername failing, so I assume that the problem lies there.  Hmm, error
number 57 appears to be ENOTCONN, which is odd because I would have thought
popper wouldn't even start without a connection (since it's being run from
inetd).

The really odd thing about this is nothing about the system has changed
from last night when it was working fine.  So far I've tried disabling
named on the system, recompiling the same version of popper, and installing
a more recent version of popper.  As far as I can recall I haven't changed
anything on this system before this for the last few weeks, so it seems
really odd taht this problem would crop up mysteriously overnight.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate them, also if you could
please cc  it to gschrock@voyager.net, the volume of mail I get at my main
email address makes it tough to look for responses with things like elm :).

Thanks,

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu