Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:25:46 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "www.slashx.net" <netbios@exodus.slashx.net>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3 local root

--98e8jtXdkpgskNou

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 08:09:00PM +0000, www.slashx.net wrote:
> suppose my server was intruded, would it be safe to say that a cvsup of
> the most current tree, would overrwrite all bins / incase they were
> backdoored?

No; you need to back up any data files, wipe the system and reinstall
from scratch, being careful to restore only data, not binaries.  And
check the data to make sure it hasn't been maliciously altered.

Anything less and you can't be sure you've got every last backdoor
left by the intruder.

> also does anyone recommend any sort of IDS?

What kind of IDS?  snort is an excellent network IDS, and tripwire is
fairly good for host-based IDS.  Both are in the ports collection.

Kris

--98e8jtXdkpgskNou

--98e8jtXdkpgskNou--