Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 22:40:40 +0100
From:      Joachim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr>
Cc:        questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help: Burning a cd with burncd and Plextor Plexwriter 16/10/40A

Aloha!

After trying out all kinds of kombinations and trials, I've yet to
succeed creating a cd in FreeBSD. Windows still work like a charm. The
setup is just as before. A Plextor 16/10/40A IDE cd writer. I have
removed the normal (Pioneer DVD) cd/dvd player, but still have the same
problems. Current DMESG report for IDE drivers shows:

ad0: 9641MB <IBM-DTTA-371010> [19590/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
ata0-slave: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 compliant cable
ad1: 16500MB <FUJITSU MPD3173AT> [33525/16/63] at ata0-slave UDMA33
acd0: CD-RW <PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1610A> at ata1-master using WDMA2
acd1: DVD-ROM <Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-103S 0114> at ata1-slave
using UDMA33
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad1s1a
swapon: adding /dev/ad0s2b as swap device

When I issue the command:

# burncd -f /dev/acd0c data isoimage.iso

I get the response:

acd0: READ_TOC - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=24 ascq=00 error=04

Then, the burning of the cd still takes place. If you look at the cd
afterwards you can visibly see that tracks have been created. The cd can
not be mounted though and the cd complains of bad TOC.

If I instead uses the command:

# burncd -f /dev/acd0c data isoimage.iso fixate

The same error as the first appear, and when the cd is being closed, I
get:

ioctl(CDRIOCCLOSEDISK): Inappropriate ioctl for device

In both these cases isoimage.iso is an ISO created by the command:

# mkisofs -J -L -R -o image.iso *

I have tested the ISO using:

# vnconfig /dev/vn0c ./image.iso
# mount -t cd9660 /dev/vn0c /cdrom

So, could anybody enlighten me on the error messages above? What does
the ILLEGAL REQUEST error mean? Have anybody experienced anything
similar with an IDE burner? Anyone with a Plextor? Any help would be
*greatly* appreciated. Booting to Windows just for burning cd:s are not
only boring but also bad for my uptime :-)

Eric Jacoboni wrote:
> Joachim> Aloha!
>
> Bonjour ;-)
>
> Joachim> I have bought a Plextor Plexwriter 16/10/40A IDE cd-burner
> Joachim> and are now wasting many fine empty cds in futile attempts at
> Joachim> burning stuff onto the poor things.
>
> Mine is the previous model : 12/10/32A. But, it's a good idea to test
> first with CD-RW, not with CD-R...

Apart from not wasting that many empty cd:s?

> Joachim> But when it reaches the fixate stage (to create
> Joachim> the TOC) it reports: "burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCCLOSEDISK): Inappropriate
> Joachim> ioctl for device" and quites.
>
> Have you tried without fixate step?

Yes. The cd is as unusable as ever.

> Joachim> So, it seems yet another poor cd have gotten
> Joachim> terminally foot & mouth-illnes or something...
>
> Have you check this CD with the PlexTools, under Windows? If it's not
> fixated you can still work with it with, say, Nero or Easy-CD.

Neiter FreeBSD nor Windows can open/read/access any CD created in
FreeBSD. The player chews on the CD for a while and then ejects it.

> And, BTW, have you try to burn a CD under Windows?

Yes. Several. ISO-s. Multi session. Music. Everyting works very nicely.
Also, It's very fast!

> If it runs ok with another OS, try to change its place in the ATA
> chain: try to swap the DVD and the Plextor (be careful to change the
> rear bridges, too).

I have tried that, but nothing of that kind seems to work.
Help?!

--
Cheers!
Joachim - Alltid i harmonisk svängning