Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 16:20:51 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comments on X dependency patch?

On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 02:36:42AM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>> I think there is a PR submitted that will turn this into an error,
>> which is what it looks like it was intended to be (from the code),
>> and which it is (supposedly) documented to be.
>
> Eek. Well, we gotta fix that anyways. How should we go about
> installing the pkg info?

Well, the poor-man's fix would be to simply, from the ports system
upgrade kit, I suppose,

${TOUCH} ${PKG_DBDIR}/`cd ${PORTSDIR}/x11/XFree86; make package-name`

But that would be confusing for any poor user who tries to
pkg_delete(1) or pkg_info(1) the resulting file.  :)

[Maybe a corresponding (really ugly) hack to pkg_info(1) to prevent
confusion?]

Provided that XFree86-via-sysinstall and XFree86-via-ports-system
are reasonably similar, a nicer fix would be

cd XFree86-port-included-in-the-upgrade-kit; TMPPLIST=pkg/PLIST make fake-pkg

The bsd.port.mk could, of course, be modified to treate TMPPLIST as a
dependency of fake-pkg:, which I lean towards (even if via a simple
hack like duplicating the appropriate 5+1 lines from _PORT_USE: in
fake-pkg: :-), but fake-pkg: isn't used too much and XFree86 doesn't
(currently) use PLIST_SUB, so it's probably not critical...

Of course, sysinstall has to be upgraded, also.

Worst case is probably handling the user who hasn't upgraded /stand
to include the upgraded sysinstall.  Said user would upgrade their
system, expecting the ports system to be properly upgraded (except
it's not).  Only a check built into bsd.port.mk would handle this.

Alternatively, XFree86 installation can be removed from sysinstall. ;-)

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.