Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:44:53 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inconsistent IO performance

> From: Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:23:08 +0200
>
> Am 13.08.2010 um 18:01 schrieb Kevin Oberman:
>
> > Note the dramatic differences even on the same kernel. For the December
> > 6 kernel, for example, I see a maximum of 23,676,086 and a minimum of
> > just 18,304,565. ????
>
> Are the disks still OK?  If any sectors have been remapped between
> runs, additional seeks would be needed.  I think it's unlikely, but
> checking with smartmontools should only take a few minutes.

I should have mentioned that I have smartmontools installed on all of my
systems and I had already looked at the results. The data shows both
working well and having no errors of late. Also,  the speeds
jump up and down rather randomly makes this rather unlikely as the
redirected blocks only increase and the likelihood of files being
created and deleted frequently enough for this to have such a large
impact seems pretty unlikely.

Thanks for taking a look, though.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer